Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

DON'T LOOK AT ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE

I am looking up recipies at the kitchen table for New England Seafood Chowder and Long Island Ice Tea Cocktails because that's what we are going to be eating and drinking for the next month or so.

I find it difficult adjusting between holidays and home life and so I came up with a solution to my problem a few years back. Now, when I return home, I bring a little of my holiday life home with me like when we returned from our holiday in the South of France. The kids and I continued to eat French Stick with parma ham and freshly squeezed orange juice for breakfast outside in the back garden on the new deck.

I must admit trying to find parking after the early morning trips in the car to get the freshly baked bread from Tescos took a little of the romance out of the occasions as did the facts that no one was allowed to mentioned that there was no table out there to eat on yet and that rain bogged bread is plain disgusting.

I have found three recipies for the Chowder and Sarah is doing her homework beside me She has done all her written work and takes out her spelling work book and opens it on the table in front of her.

"I have to learn these by my heart" she informs me

"Pardon" I say

"I have to learn these spellings BY MY HEART" she stresses.

"You mean OFF BY HEART" I say

She looks at me with, you know, disgust written all over her face.

"BY MY H E A R T" she repeats slowly and clearly pointing at her heart, like, I'm that thick I just don't get it and sign language is definately required for this situation.

I flick my cookbook page from Seafood Chowders to Squid cooked in its own black ink and point at the photo.

"DINNER" I announce.

No comments: